The Young Carer Bursary supports young carers to continue their education. The programs offers 1,000 bursaries of $3,000 per year.
To apply, a young carer must be:
- Aged 12-25 for the entire time of the bursary (2022)
- Studying at high school, in training through an RTO, or up to and including their first undergraduate degree
- An Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Not receiving another scholarship
The bursary is paid in instalments of $1,500 and two payments of $750. The bursary can be spent on anything that helps the young carer to continue studying or training, which need not be just education-related expenses.
The application process is open from 16 August to 30 September.
Resources for young carers and young person-centred organisations are below:
- Read the YCB Information Pack for Young Carers available in 9 languages
- Listen to The Secret Life of Carers podcast featuring a young Kamilaroi carer
- Check out the Frequently Asked Questions that our team have created for the YCB
- Look at the social media kit and resources in the Organisation and Schools Information Pack
- Subscribe to our e-newsletter
The new Young Carers Network (YCN) website is now live and this will be the engine of our new application process. As our portal is brand new, young carers will have to register even if they have had an account in the past. This will help to have current information for young carers, as well as offering a new and improved application process.
Young carers can be supported to make their application through Carer Gateway here in Tassie. The Carer Gateway can work with the young carer to give them the best chance of success.
Call 1800 422 737 and ask to speak to our Young Carer Support Officer.