Tasmanian Honour Roll of Women inductees Dr Ljiljana Mujkana (left) and Kim Phong
Nominations are now open for the Tasmanian Honour Roll of Women which recognises women and women’s organisations that have made a significant contribution to Tasmania in a range of areas, including multicultural affairs, human rights and the community.
The Honour Roll plays an important role helping to preserve the stories of women’s and women’s organisations to ensure these contributions are not forgotten in the passage of time and can inspire future generations.
Women inducted for multicultural affairs
Women who have been inducted onto the Honour Roll for their contribution to multicultural affairs in Tasmania include:
- Sajini Sumar (inducted in 2005) a volunteer who promotes cross-cultural understanding;
- Stella Goiser (2006) immigrated to Australia in 1958 and was instrumental in helping establish services for migrants at a time when the need for these services had not yet been recognized;
- Lyn Andersch (2007) played a key role developing Tasmania’s first Multicultural Policy and was a tireless and well-respected advocate for refugees and migrants in Tasmania.
- Merma Kelly (2009) an advocate for the Filipino community;
- Kim Phong (2013) who has been instrumental in the Migrant Resource Centre’s community development programs; and
- Dr Ljiljana Mujkic (2015) a medical practitioner and volunteer for the Migrant Resource Centre in Launceston who helped migrants resettle in Tasmania
The full list of women inducted onto the Honour Roll maybe viewed on the Department of Premier and Cabinet website.
Do you know of women who should be nominated for the Honour Roll?
Please nominate them by submitting a nomination addressing the selection criteria. Nominations may be either submitted online or by completing a nomination form. Nominations close on 28 September 2018 and will be assessed by an independent judging panel
Successful nominees will be publicly recognised at an induction ceremony event, in a book detailing biographies and published online.
Nomination forms and a list of inductees are available on the DPAC website or you can:
Phone: 1800 009 501